[packman] Re: [PM] wxWidgets 2.8.3 (openSUSE 10.2/x86_64)

Toni toni at links2linux.de
Fri Apr 13 18:33:16 CEST 2007

Am Freitag, 13. April 2007 schrieb Michael Gerdau:
> Hi Toni,
>
> the new packages are still synchronizing (or at least that's what
> my browser tells me) so I have not yet checked them out.
ok, as I said, it takes about an hour until the packages are ready for
download.

> > > As a sidenote:
> > > The patch that renames wx-config to wx-config-2.8 (to avoid the
> > > conflict with SuSE-wxGTK-package) prevents wxWidgets-2.8 being
> > > correctly identified by at least the pgadmin3-1.6.3 configure;
> > > therefor I had to manually rename the corresponding files to
> > > make it work.
> >
> > no you should not do this !
> > use
> > ./configure \
> > 	--with-wx-config=/usr/bin/wx-config-2.8
> > then the configure should detect the right headers and libs,
>
> Unfortunately this is not correct. pgadmin3-1.6.3 configure looks
> for a file named wx-config and that not parameterizable. Only the
> location where it is searched can be adjusted.
>
> > or check the output of wx-config-2.8 how to pass this in the configure
> > for pgadmin3 as CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
>
> Looking into configure seems to indicate there is no way around
> providing a file named wx-config ... somewhere.
>
> > ./configure --help should give you an idea. If I find the time I'll have
> > a look at the pgadmin3 configure and give you more detailed infos how to
> > compile with wxWidgets.
ok, so If I  would write a spec-file for pgadmin3, I would do a simple:
sed -i -e 's|wx-config|wx-config-2.8|g' configure

and then pgadmin configure runs fine, and uses the correct values.
If you do a autoreconf or bootstrap, you should call the sed statement with
configure.ac as target instead of configure.

> Thank you for that offer. However I have it already working.
> The steps were:
> - erase wxGTK-devel
> - manually cp wx-config-2.8 wx-config
> - replace libxml2-2.6.26 (as of openSUSE 10.2) with yesterdays
>   cvs-snapshot which claims to be libxml2-2.6.27.
>
> > otherrwise wxWidgets and wxGtk cann't be installed at the same time. And
> > I have not the time to recompile all programs against the wxWidgets-2.8
>
> I have investigated this a bit further and it turns out that only
> wxGTK-devel (as of openSUSE 10.2) and wxWidgets-devel do exclude each
> other. Without installing (i.e. after removing wxGTK-devel) I have
> not come across a problem and both base packages (i.e. not -devel)
> reside happily in parallel on my machine.
yes, thats true, sometime we need packages in a newer version to compile some
other packages, so we create a package like wxWidgets. The main goal is that
we don't break existing packages with their dependencies. And the drawback
is, that if you use the package wxWidget-devel you have to tweak your sources
so that they can use the new wxWidgets.

> I therefor kindly ask to reconsider the decision to rename wx-config
> to wx-config-2.8.
see sed statement above :)

> > libxml2 is a problem, because a lot of packages ar eusing this library.
> > So we have to be careful ...
>
> I understand that. That's why I wrote "experimental" as I'm not yet
> confident this cvs-snapshot package it will work all the time :)
>
> > But you can contact Marc Schiffbauer for a packman account. Help is
> > always welcome !
>
> I'll have to think about that - I'm not yet sure I'm really providing
> quality packages and then there is the problem with guaranteeing I'd
> be able to provide at least _some_ support.
>
> Anyway, I'll think about it.
as I said, every "little bit" helps. You can send us also the spec-file and we
try to create a package.

But in this special case with a libxml2-cvs version, I'm not sure if this
would be a good idea. Perhaps you consider a static-linked libxml2-cvs.

> Best wishes,
> Michael
Toni