[packman] mplayer and win32 codecs

Peter Luginbuehl lugi_ch at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 20:05:21 CET 2006

Hi,

First I have to apologize since you probably get the
same question all the time, but I couldn't find a
solution yet.

Also, thank you so much for making mplayer available
so neatly packed up - almost everything works great! I
compiled from source it at work but could not get the
GUI working (but I could specify the codecs directory
at ./configure). I tried to compile it at home but
gave up due to compilation errors. Then, I found the
packman distribution and installed it at home. The
problem that I have with the packman installed version
is that mplayer does not find the win32 codecs (for
example, I get the error message that no codec is
available when I try to watch a WMV9 format file).

I did the following;
First, I installed the  w32codec-all-20050412 package
from packman. Then I installed the MPlayer-1.0pre7try3
package also from packman (packman.unixheads.com). I
used Yast for the installation. The codecs were
installed in /usr/lib/win32 and a symbolic link
/usr/lib/codecs to the win32 directory was created. I
also added the symbolic links to /usr/lib/win32 from
/usr/lib64/codecs and /usr/lib64/win32 (just in case).
But mplayer still does not find the win32 codecs. I
also have links to the codecs directory into
/usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib64 (but they are
probably not used by the precompiled version). What do
I have to do or where do I have to put the win32
codecs so that mplayer will find them?

I am using SUSE 10.0 on a HP Media Center PC. Please
find the output of info4packman attached to this
e-mail. Any help from you is greatly appreciated - I
tried eveything I could think of to figure it out
myself, but no luck.

I apologize again, if you have to answer the same
question over and over again, but maybe you have a
standard procedure or can direct me to the solution.

Thanks!
Best regards,
Peter Luginbuhl