[packman] Kodi 21 - crash

Eric Schirra eric at schirra.net
Wed Apr 10 14:08:29 CEST 2024

Am Mittwoch, 10. April 2024, 13:32:14 CEST schrieb Manfred Hollstein:

> I just installed a new machine with Leap 15.5 and did not block pipewire
> this time. Still Pulseaudio appears to be the default sound server:
>
>   $ pacmd info
>   Name des Servers: pulseaudio
>
> Still Kodi wants to use pipewire by default if it finds it installed.
> kodi --help tells us the following:
>
>   --audio-backend=<backend> Select which audio backend to use.
>                           Available audio backends are: alsa, pipewire,
> pulseaudio, alsa+pulseaudio
>
> Starting kodi with the argument "--audio-backend=pulseaudio" results in
> PulseAudio being used as the sound interface and sound works again.
>
> I deliberately refused to get pipewire installed on my normal systems
> due to my special use-cases, but here either activating pipewire at the
> OS level, or specifying the audio backend to be used should be the way
> to go.
>
> I'll open an issue at Kodi's github that Kodi should not just blindly
> select the preferred audio backend, but rather take a look at e.g.
> "pacmd info"'s output...

Very nice.
That's how I see it too.
Then my, let's say, not letting up, has something good after all. :-)
Because even if that would work as a parameter, I don't think it's a good
idea. There are also many people who don't know their way around the console.
Or don't want to use it in this case.

Let's see what comes of it.
Thanks anyway.

Regards