[packman] Kodi 21 - crash

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Wed Apr 10 13:32:14 CEST 2024

Hi there,

On Wed, 10 Apr 2024, 12:54:16 +0200, Masaru Nomiya wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> In the Message;
>
>   Subject    : Re: [packman] Kodi 21 - crash
>   Date & Time: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 10:54:51 +0200
>
> [ES] == Eric Schirra <eric at schirra.net> has written:
>
> [...]
> ES>  Have you also read everything correctly here?
> ES>  The rpm from packman does not work.
> ES>  But the package from flatpack works.
> ES>  So the packaman package is definitely broken!
>
> Ich baue und verwende selbst die neuesten Git-Quellen, aber ich glaube
> nicht, dass das von Pacman bereitgestellte Kodi irgendwelche Fehler
> enthält.

Thanks for jumping in!

> Es wäre besser,
>
>    $ kodi > kodi.log 2>&1
>
> in einem Terminal auszuführen und das kodi.log hochzuladen.

I just installed a new machine with Leap 15.5 and did not block pipewire
this time. Still Pulseaudio appears to be the default sound server:

  $ pacmd info
  Name des Servers: pulseaudio

Still Kodi wants to use pipewire by default if it finds it installed.
kodi --help tells us the following:

  --audio-backend=<backend> Select which audio backend to use.
                          Available audio backends are: alsa, pipewire, pulseaudio, alsa+pulseaudio

Starting kodi with the argument "--audio-backend=pulseaudio" results in
PulseAudio being used as the sound interface and sound works again.

I deliberately refused to get pipewire installed on my normal systems
due to my special use-cases, but here either activating pipewire at the
OS level, or specifying the audio backend to be used should be the way
to go.

I'll open an issue at Kodi's github that Kodi should not just blindly
select the preferred audio backend, but rather take a look at e.g.
"pacmd info"'s output...

> Grüße.
>
> ---