[packman] ipu6 camera packages

Giacomo Comes gcomes at gmx.com
Tue Dec 26 22:33:51 CET 2023

Hi,
as you may be aware currently there are laptops with IPU6 MIPI camera
that lacks upstream open-source support.
Since few months it is possible to install some software and driver
that allow linux users to use their IPU6 camera, however
the process is quite painful and error prone.
Recently, rpm packages in the rpmfusion repository makes
the ipu6 camera usage simpler for fedora users.
Time has come for openSUSE users to join that club.
If you have a IPU6 camera and are unable to use it, please test my
packaging for opensuse Leap and Tumbleweed.
Follow the instructions below and let me know if the package works for
you or not.
Once I'm sure there are no main issues I'll make such packages available
in the packman repository.
So far I have tested the packages on my laptop:
Dell Latitude 7440 (Raptor Lake-P) with sensor OVTI02C1
and the camera works.
Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Giacomo Comes

        ipu6 camera support for openSUSE tumbleweed and leap

IPU6 support requires kernel >= 6.3.1.
With tumbleweed there is no problem.
With Leap you need to upgrade your kernel:
  zypper ar https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable:/Backport/standard kernelbackport
  zypper ar https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable:/Backport:/KMP/standard kernelbackport_kmp
  rpmkeys --import https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable:/Backport/standard/repodata/repomd.xml.key
  zypper al kernel-default-base
  zypper dup --from kernelbackport --force-resolution
  zypper rl kernel-default-base
>From now on your leap installation will use the latest 6.x kernel.

Once you are running a suitable kernel you can install and test the ipu6 stack.
Leap:
  zypper ar https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/gcomes.obs:/ipu6/15.5 ipu6
  rpmkeys --import https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/gcomes.obs:/ipu6/15.5/repodata/repomd.xml.key
  zypper in ipu6-camera-bins
Tumbleweed:
  zypper ar https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/gcomes.obs:/ipu6/openSUSE_Tumbleweed ipu6
  rpmkeys --import https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/gcomes.obs:/ipu6/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/repodata/repomd.xml.key
  zypper in ipu6-camera-bins
Reboot. Now your camera should hopefully work.
Quick test:
  ffplay /dev/video0

Remember that secure boot needs to be disabled for this to work since the out of tree kernel module build is unsigned
More details here:
  https://hansdegoede.dreamwidth.org/tag/ipu6

        ipu6 camera packages uninstall

In order to uninstall the ipu6 stack run:
  zypper rm intel-ipu6-kmp-default ipu6-camera-bins-firmware ivsc-firmware v4l2loopback-kmp-default v4l2loopback-utils
  zypper rr ipu6
On Leap to revert to the 5.14 kernel run:
  zypper rr kernelbackport
  zypper rr kernelbackport_kmp
  zypper dup --force-resolution