[packman] [Tumbleweed] mpv no longer plays movie files on samba share on Tumbleweed

Xu Zhao i at xuzhao.net
Fri Mar 13 12:35:51 CET 2020

After a Tumbleweed update, mpv no longer plays movie files on a samba share of my NAS drive.
The Tumbleweed version is 20200309.

Opening the movie file from the commandline throws the following error:

$ mpv smb://admin@192.168.0.100/share/movie/1.mp4
[ffmpeg] Protocol not found. Make sure ffmpeg/Libav is compiled with networking support.
Failed to open smb://admin@192.168.0.100/share/movie/1.mp4.

I am using the following versions of ffmpeg and libav* from the Packman repository.
ffmpeg4: 4.2.2-5.2
libavdevice58: 4.2.2-5.2
libavfilter7: 4.2.2-5.2
libavformat58: 4.2.2-5.2
libavresample4: 4.2.2-5.2
libavutil56: 4.2.2-5.2

I have seen a similar complaint on openSUSE forum which describes the exact same problem:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/539418-tumbleweed-update-no-longer-can-play-videos-from-smb-share

Does anything change recently on buliding the ffmpeg and/or mpv related packages?

Best,
Xu

--
Xu Zhao