[packman] kodi-18.x: Status and issues wrt/ Leap 42.3 and Leap 15.0

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Wed Feb 20 20:24:32 CET 2019

Hi there,

while openSUSE_Leap_42.3 is still supported, it appears that Kodi
developers give a shit about it - they're mostly developing on and for
Ubuntu Linux :(

I still run most of my systems on Leap 42.3, so my focus is how to get
that beast (including the related binary-addons) built on and for 42.3.
Here are my findings:

1. Kodi 18.0 built fine, but kodi.binary-addons needed some additional
   packages, which are not available by default for Leap 42.3.

   * nlohmann_json: This package is only needed for building
     kodi.binary-addons, because it's just a C++ template header
     library. I therefore created a working version in my home:manfred.h
     repo in PMBS to be only used for building for Leap 42.3.
     Again, there are no runtime implications!
   * libarchive13: One addon (kodi.binary-addons-vfs.libarchive) needs
     a newer version than what's available in Leap 42.3. If someone
     actually uses this addon, (s)he should add the related package from
     my home:manfred-h repo, which is where I built a linked copy of the
     libarchive13 package from Leap 15.0. WARNING: I did not
     test if this actually works because I don't need/use this
     particular addon!

2. Kodi 18.1 added further requirements: they now need a newer sqlite3
   than available in Leap 42.3. Again, the version from Leap 15.0 builds
   fine for 42.3, but it is needed to install the resulting kodi-18.1
   package :( Good thing: it just works, so just use the package from my
   home:manfred.h repo :)

3. Kodi 18.1 binary-addons: Two screensavers (asterwave and cpblobs)
   apparently now need glm-devel for building, but then fail because the
   version provided by 42.3 and 15.0 is too old. I have therefore
   disabled these two screensavers.

I have successfully built the packages here in my local environment, now
waiting for them to build in PBMS. The resulting packages will be
available from home:manfred.h, are fully usable and can be installed on
Leap 15.0 and 42.3; I must admit, though, I only use
kodi.binary-addons-pvr.vuplus from the binary-addons packages, so can't
tell about the other addons.

If anyone wants to test these packages, please add my home:manfred-h repo
and try them out. Your feedback will be highly appreciated!

I have also submitted my changes to sagiben who is the actual maintainer
of the Kodi and related packages, but due to the issues wrt/ 42.3 I
thought, it would be good to describe the status and challenges.

HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred