[packman] mpv on OpenSUSE 42.2 status

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Fri Jun 23 18:53:16 CEST 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, Jason Newton wrote:

> I'm not understanding who's supposed to be building mpv these days, since
> opensuse has it in it's official repos.

The idea was that everything comes from OBS. If there is a need for a
new version it should go through :Update.

> https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/Essentials/mpv shows that builds on
> 42.2 (and 42.3) are disabled.  Is that desired because I didn't think it should
> be.  There's version differences for one (0.22 vs 0.25). multimedia:apps
> apparently has it at 0.25 though.

Essentials/mpv is there for historical reasons. It would disappear
together with 42.1. But since it is also needed for SLE_12 the pkg will
likely stay. multimedia:apps is just the devel project.

> So should mpv users just install the distribution or multimedia:apps builds and
> install packman's ffmpeg...?  This sounds like shared library hell (and
> actually has been ever since I went to 42.2 back on release).

multimedia:apps is a devel project. It builds against multimedia:libs,
which in turn contains crippled variants of ffmpeg. Also the SONAME of
libs there will change at any time. Using these two projects is asking
for trouble.

Olaf