[packman] libdvdcss2

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Sat May 3 19:52:29 CEST 2014

Hi Lorenzo, hi Malcolm,

On Sat, 3 May 2014 11:53:29 +0200
Lorenzo Porta <vindex17 at outlook.it> wrote:

> Il 02/05/2014 23:12, Malcolm ha scritto:

> >> No, in germany it's illegal to provide software that breaks copy
> >> protection systems. We do have libdvdcss on pmbs, but we can't
> >> provide in the download section.
> >>
> > Hi
> > I understand this, however aircrack-ng is also illegal in Germany
> > (according to
> > http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_application_blacklist)
> > yet provided for building/downloading from packman?
> >

> Exactly, why is libdvdcss different?

You know, that we are there in something like a gray zone.
We - OK, I have to use the "we" loosely, like "the packman team in
2005" - decided to not further publish libdvdcss due to the then new
Urheberrecht in Germany.
It might  be a good idea to stop distributing aircrack also, but:

1. libdvdcss is a popular tool, which may attract attention to Packman,
more popular than aircrack,
2. libdvdcss is published elsewhere, and _a lot_ better documented in
the web, as Martin pointed out earlier.

So there is simply NO NEED to have libdvdcss in Packman.

Greetings,

Stefan
--
Stefan Botter zu Hause