[packman] update codecs one-click-install

Martin Schlander martin.schlander at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 17:30:21 CET 2013

Lørdag den 16. november 2013 18:39:48 skrev Marguerite Su:
> I think maybe it's time to update our one-click-install file for codecs?
> Here's my suggestion:
>
> 1. remove libxine2-codecs, it's optional now.

libxine2 is used by Kaffeine - the default video player on KDE installations.

> 2. add gstreamer 1.2 codecs.

The Phonon gstreamer backend has not been ported to gstreamer 1.x yet. So it's
not needed in KDE - KDE still needs the old gstreamer 0_10. (But suggestions
for which packages should be installed by the gnome codec 1-click would be
very much appreciated.)

> 3. add libx264 codec (maybe it can be automatically pulled in)

What is this needed for? If it provides important functionality for xine
and/or gstreamer, it should be pulled in by libxine2-codecs or the gstreamer
plugins imho.

For 13.2 some big changes will be needed though. As the phonon-vlc-backend
will most likely become default, and personally I will push for vlc to replace
kaffeine as the default video player on KDE installations.

> BTW: who can change that file/upload new ones on opensuse-community.org ?

I've been taking care of it for some time. I believe yaloki, benjiman and
apokryphos also have access - but I'm not sure about their activity levels.

However, Detlef has announced the o-c.o server will be terminated on 31
December 2013, so unless some replacement server is found, o-c.o will die
then.