[packman] How to mirror packman in the US

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Sat Jul 21 20:07:46 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-09 21:51:12 (-0400), Frank Gruman <fgatwork at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello,

> I've been an openSUSE user for several years (I think I started at
> version 7) and have utilized the Packman repositories for quite a while,
> too.

> I recently saw the blog posting at
> http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2012/05/speaking-of-packman-mirrors.html
> asking for mirroring support.  I am willing to try to set up the mirror
> through my hosted domain at my ISP (Dreamhost).  I do not see any
> statements in their ToS or AUP that would prohibit this.  It's a shared
> hosting account so the speed might not be screaming but I find it
> sufficient for almost all of my other hosted domains on their servers.

> what are the next steps?

Hi Frank

Thanks for your support, and sorry that your email slipped
through.

As far as I know, the next steps would be to be registered as a
mirror in order to be able to rsync from our primary server --
something Marc manages. Marc ?

An alternative, and a solution in the mean time, would be to
mirror one of our mirrors using rsync. e.g.
rsync://packman.inode.at/packman/suse/

/!\ Mind you, the whole shabang sums up to 43 GB /!\

12.1 is 6 GB and 12.2 is currently 3.7 GB (not all repos are
enabled yet, but the most important are (Essentials and
Multimedia)), so you might prefer to cherry-pick there and e.g.
only rsync
rsync://packman.inode.at/packman/suse/openSUSE_12.1
(which would already be very helpful to users on your side of
the big pond.)

Also, you should run the rsync at least every four hours in
order to be sufficiently up-to-date.

In any case, if you do mirror something, please keep us posted,
so we can advertise it accordingly :)

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser