[packman] CDnavigator-0.7.1-0.pm.1 for openSUSE 10.2

Erwin Lam erwinlam at dds.nl
Sun Feb 3 15:45:58 CET 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008 14:36:30 Toni wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 3. Februar 2008 schrieb Erwin Lam:
> > Hello,
> >
> > There seems to be a dependency problem with
> > CDnavigator-0.7.1-0.pm.1 for openSUSE 10.2.
> >
> > When you install the package, it also wants
> > CDnavigator-postgresql-0.7.1-0.pm.1
> >
> > However, when you start CDnavigator, the program complains because
> > it wants its hsqldb backend: CDnavigator-hsqldb-0.7.1-0.pm.1
> >
> > So, I think there is a dependency problem. Could somebody have a
> > look at this?
>
> the package needs ONE package which provides: CDnavigator-Backend
>
> and there are several packages providing this backend:
> CDnavigator-hsqldb
> CDnavigator-oracle
> CDnavigator-mysql
> CDnavigator-postgresql
> so you have to choose ONE of those. AFAIR smart takes the first match
> if you do a smart install CDnavigator, the behaviour of YaST I don't
> know (I'm not using it).
>
> and in the NOTE of the package you find:
> NOTE:
> The package is preconfigured for hsqldb. For other databases
> like MySQL, Oracle, postgres see README and INSTALL and install
> the needed package CDnavigator-oracle, CDnavigator-mysql or
> CDnavigator-postgresql. The sample config files can be found in
> /usr/share/CDnavigator/etc.
>
> So the "normal" user chooses CDnavigator AND CDnavigator-hsqldb as
> long he doesn't need a real database server like postgres or mysql.
> And so I preconfigured the package for hsqldb.

Toni,

The "normal" user installs the dependencies his package manager (SMART
indeed) tells him to install, in this case CDnavigator-postgresql
instead of CDnavigator-hsqldb, which just happened to be the wrong
package. I have no idea why SMART just chose this package to install.
Subsequently, the "normal" user is very suprised to find out the
application refuses to start.

Anyway, I understand it is a problem with the package manager, not with
the package.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
Erwin Lam