[packman] AMD Radeon 600 series, Leap 15.4, VLC DVD player

Steven Swart steven.swart at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 02:03:13 CET 2023

Good day, Carlos, and Packmans!

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner; I have been busy these past
few days and wanted to do some testing.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 at 13:04, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas at telefonica.net>
wrote:

> Not always, true. It may ask if you want hibernation, there is a tick
> somewhere, and then one is created. There are many subtle options or
> choices that have consequences :-)

 I am not quite sure what went wrong, then. But when I ran 'free', I saw
that there was no swap.

> I didn't want to resize any of my existing partitions on my boot drive,
> > because I heard that was dangerous. But, I thought there would be no harm
> > in deleting my cache partition and creating a new one,  after using some
> of
> > that space for swap. 30 GB is probably a bit big for a cache anyway.
>
> If your root is big, you do not need a cache at all :-)

(depending on your usage, you may need more than 8 gig of swap later)

I have followed your instructions, removed the separate cache partition,
and on your advice, also increased my swap to 16Gb. Now double the size of
the installed RAM. I mainly use that machine to play music, and have
noticed that it doesn't use much swap anyway. But, hopefully, if my swap is
double my RAM, it should be good enough for whatever I may need to do on
that machine.

> Normally packman list is not used for this kind of help, but I figured
> you were doing that, and that hibernate could help :-)

I do appreciate it very much, thank you, Carlos!

Kind regards,
Steven.