[packman] AMD Radeon 600 series, Leap 15.4, VLC DVD player

Steven Swart steven.swart at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 06:30:26 CET 2023

Good day, Carlos, and Packmans!

Carlos, you told me something I didn't know!

There was no hibernate option available for my Tumbleweed machine. Upon
investigation, it turned out that the problem was that I had never created
a swap partition.

I installed both machines several years ago. At the time, I just accepted
the default options for the partition table suggested by the OpenSUSE live
stick installer. The only exception was that I created a 30 GB partition
for /var/cache, because one of my friends had told me that OpenSUSE
requires a large cache partition, the default option is not good enough.
But the installer doesn't create a swap partition by default.

I didn't want to resize any of my existing partitions on my boot drive,
because I heard that was dangerous. But, I thought there would be no harm
in deleting my cache partition and creating a new one,  after using some of
that space for swap. 30 GB is probably a bit big for a cache anyway.

So, this was my procedure.

I had already created a Leap 15.4 live stick last week. I used that to boot
Tumbleweed from my root partition. I saw that when you do that, the whole
/var partition is mounted on the live stick.

So, I deleted the /var/cache partition on my boot drive, created an 8 GB
swap partition - that machine has 8 GB of RAM, and a smaller 22 GB cache
partition. I used the YaST Partitioner to do that.

(As an added bonus, I also saw that I had an unused and unmounted 40 GB
partition!)

I shut down and rebooted from my boot drive, and then, as if by magic, the
KDE Power / Session menu suddenly contained Sleep and Hibernate options. I
tested the Hibernate option, and it works perfectly!

I am going to do the same to the Leap machine today.

Thank you very much, Carlos, this is going to save me a lot of pain, for
more reasons than just doing builds! What I was previously doing was
shutting down two machines every time we were scheduled for a power cut,
and then restarting them both when the power cane back on. Now I can just
hibernate them both!

Kind regards,
Steven.