[packman] AMD Radeon 600 series, Leap 15.4, VLC DVD player

Steven Swart steven.swart at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 20:00:35 CET 2023

Good day, Packmans!

I have a question, and this seems like a good place to ask it.

I have an older box that was running Leap 15.3, but today, I upgraded it to
15.4 because Leap 15.3 is no longer supported.

This machine has an older model AMD/ATI Radeon 600 series graphics card.

This machine also has an HD BDROM drive that I sometimes used to play
regular DVDs with VLC. To do that under 15.3, all I had to do was install
the libdvdcss2 library. (I found a repo for that one.)

I have been down a big rabbit hole today trying to get VLC to play DVDs
under 15.4!

>From what I understand, I need to install a package called mesa-vdpau. Then
I should be able to get it to work with the VDPAU drivers. (I would need to
set a couple of environment variables.)

However, from what I understand, support for this package has now been
dropped due to software patent concerns, and is no longer available for
Leap 15.4.

I have tried to play DVDs with both the packman and the flatpak versions of
Kodi, but no luck. However, I note that on my other 15.4 machine, this way
works fine with a standard DVD drive.

All I need is a way to play regular DVDs under Leap 15.4 on this machine
with an HD BDROM drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alternatively, is building a mesa-vdpau package the way to handle this one?
(Even if it means I would have to be the package maintainer?)

Regards,
Steven.