[packman] Problems with gstreamer-plugins-bad and related packages from Packman on TW

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Fri Jan 28 20:02:42 CET 2022

Hi Bjørn,

On Fri, 28 Jan 2022, 18:53:09 +0100, Bjørn Lie wrote:
> fr., jan. 28 2022 at kl. 18.15 +0100 +0100 skrev Manfred Hollstein
> <manfred.h at gmx.net> følgende:
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2022, 18:05:08 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > >  Fri, 28 Jan 2022 17:52:04 +0100 Bjørn Lie <bjorn.lie at gmail.com>:
> > >
> > >  > Ok so as I said, you want to do an old style linked package,
> > > witch we
> > >  > now do via _multibuild (see
> > >  >
> > > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory/webkit2gtk3
> > > as
> > >  > an example).
> > >  > My initial rejection stands, Factory maintainers will most likely
> > > nack
> > >  > this approch.
> > >  > I'm not saying it's impossible, but it will make maintenace of
> > >  > gstreamer-bad even harder than it is today.
> > >
> > >  It is not up to me to decide how the gstreamer packages have to
> > > look like.
> >
> > It's not up to me either, but ...
> >
> > >  In the end someone needs to create, submit and maintain the
> > > required packages.
> >
> > ... what Bjørn describes sounds reasonable to me - and if he wants to
> > start the whole approach in Staging, I'd assume it would probably the
> > best way to go. And, yes, the other packages need to adopt, but this is
> > rather a way with a longer vision in mind. FWIW, I never understood this
> > whole cascading of *gst* packages had to come from one source or from
> > the other... If we can make it easier to relax the inter-dependencies of
> > these package, I think it would make it easier for everyone in the end.
> >
> > >  Olaf
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > l8er
> > manfred
> >

> Subs done
>
> https://pmbs.links2linux.org/request/show/5492
> https://pmbs.links2linux.org/request/show/5493
>
> After ack, gstreamer-plugins-bad and gstreamer-plugins-ugly should be
> removed from Staging.

As I wrote before I cannot approve the requested changes, but I
completely agree with them!

> Note if and when this lands in Essentials, we all need to make some "noise"
> about the change, as most users will be confused why "all" their gstreamers
> suddenly wants to change to OSS repo from packman. It should be shouted from
> rooftops and mailinglists and other social media far and loud :-)

This would be something where we would definitely need your "noise" ;)
I'd suggest you'll send a properly crafted message to the various lists
so that everybody knows how to proceed. When there are some complaints
from the usual people, we should be able the pick up on that!

> NOTE: For now I only want to make this change for Tumbleweed and later
> upcomming 15.4, but lets start with TW only.
> 15.3 and older stays as is and always has.

Agreed!

> And finaly thanks to all involved, if we can reach a endresult that makes
> life simpler for our users that is a ending we can all feel good about.

Thanks a lot for your responsiveness on this issue!

> /Bjørn

Cheers.

l8er
manfred