[packman] youtube-dl replacement

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Jan 4 16:52:24 CET 2022

On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 04:28:48PM +0100, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2022, 16:19:32 +0100, Mathias Homann wrote:

> > > Think not.
> > >
> > > http://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/
> > > https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/
> >

> > You're actually proving *my* point here: the original youtube-dl has seen
> > *three* commits since the middle of the summer, and two of them were
> > documentation. The fork yt-dlp has seen 29 commits only in the last three
> > days, and two actual releases since the middle of december - looks much more
> > active to me, especially when you remember how active the original
> > youtube-dl used to be, with sometimes more than one release per day.
>
> I'm not sure the package is actually needed in Packman; a new package
> has just been introduced at OBS:
>
>   <https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory/yt-dlp>
>
> > Cheers
> >
> > MH
>
> Cheers.
>
> l8er
> manfred

In my opinion, such package is useful in packman.
While the factory/tumbleweed rpm is kept updated,
thats not the case for leap. For example, in leap 15.3
there has been no update at all for youtube-dl
and for leap 15.2 there has been only three updates in 18 months.
This lack of updates in leap usually means that the installed youtube-dl
is useless because it will fail to download many or all the video
hosted on youtube. My solution was to manually install an updated rpm from
tumbleweed or (better) have an automated update from packman.

Regards.
Giacomo