[packman] PMBS and the future - again :)

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 4 15:18:22 CET 2021

Hi Packmans,

again, there are changes to the hosting of PMBS ahead.

As I am changing jobs in the near future, I have to remove my own
"playground" with ESX hosts and storage from my current employer, who
generously allowed me to host them there and allowed me to use the
internet connection.

There will be most probably no possibility for me to have my servers
hosted by my new employer, and even if so, I would definitively not have
the opportunity to use the Internet connection for PMBS.

I will move my VMs including PMBS to a public hosting company.
I have ordered a suitable machine and am expecting it to be available
some time next week. I will then have to prepare that server.
When this is done, I will then transfer the VMs to the new server. As I
cannot migrate them live, there will be a considerable downtime for PMBS
- last time back in March 2020 it took roughly 20 hours.

To ease the burden on the uplink of my current employer, I prefer to do
the move over a weekend to not interfere with classes. If everything
goes to plan, this would be the next weekend (Feb 13th and 14th), and if
problems arise, the following weekend. Of course I will announce the
downtimes here in advance.

The new machine is a potent one, but not as powerful as my current own
machines combined, so there will be a cut in build power. But we will
deal with that later.

I will notify you on the progress here.

Greetings,

Stefan