[packman] broadcom-wl driver vs. Linux kernel v5.10

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Fri Nov 13 10:49:31 CET 2020

Hi there,

the upcoming kernel 5.10 breaks with the set_fs()/get_fs() calls to
differentiate between user-space and kernel-space memory. For details
see

  <https://lwn.net/Articles/832121/>

As a result, the broadcom-wl driver does not build against kernels from
Kernel:HEAD in OBS anymore. The issue already started in 5.9, when I
created a small patch to address the situation at that time. Now that
the two calls are gone, a new patch is required. I found out that the
Debian guys created a new patch for 5.9 called

  17-Get-rid-of-get_fs-set_fs-calls.patch

The name is quite obvious I think. I rebased our former
"broadcom-wl.linux-5.9.patch" based on that one which makes the package
build again for all current distro versions.

The SR is <https://pmbs.links2linux.org/request/show/5270>; can someone
please accept it?

DISCLAIMER: I don't have such WLAN device myself anymore, thus I cannot
test if it actually works! If someone wants to test this new version,
please try out the packages built in my PMBS account:

  <https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/home:manfred.h/broadcom-wl>

I'm going to add a "Testing" target there soon to build against OBS
Kernel:HEAD

HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred