[packman] libav versions

packman at howorth.org.uk packman at howorth.org.uk
Tue Jun 25 16:56:48 CEST 2019

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 15:35:27 +0200
Manfred Hollstein <manfred.h at gmx.net> wrote:

>Moin,
>
>On Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 15:17:34 +0200, packman at howorth.org.uk wrote:
>> I just looked and noticed that I have three versions of all (AFAICT)
>> of the libav* packages. e.g:
>>
>> libavformat56
>> libavformat57
>> libavformat58
>>
>> Most of them have numbers 56,57,58 in the name. Some have 2,3,4 or
>> 5,6,7
>>
>> Do I need or benefit in some way from having all three? Or should I
>> just have the latest version (4.0.2.lp150...)?
>>
>> If this is all documented somewhere, I apologize for not finding
>> it.
>
>you can figure out this yourself:
>
>  rpm -e --test $(locate libavformat56)
>  rpm -e --test $(locate libavformat57)
>  rpm -e --test $(locate libavformat58)
>
>Every command will moan about a package still requiring the libavformat
>to be removed. Only if no other package requires it, i.e. the output
>from the related command is empty, you can remove the package (i.e.
>remove the "--test" from the command line).

Thanks. All three versions produce output similar to

# rpm -e --test $(locate libavformat56)
error: package /usr/share/licenses/libavformat56 is not installed
error: package /usr/share/licenses/libavformat56/COPYING.GPLv2 is not installed
error: package /usr/share/licenses/libavformat56/LICENSE.md is not installed

I'm not sure what that means (never used locate before and don't know
much about rpm.