[packman] [openSUSE Leap 42.3] Missing ffplay in ffmpeg-3 3.4.4-10.1

Carsten Ziepke kieltux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 22:04:37 CEST 2019

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:56:22 +0200
Wolfgang Bauer <e9325712 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On 2019-04-28 08:42, Carsten Ziepke wrote:
> > Is there a reason for not packaging ffplay in ffmpeg-3 for openSUSE
> > Leap 42.3?
>
> ffmplay is missing because it requires SDL2 since ffmpeg 3.2, but the
> Leap 42.3 package is built without SDL2.
>
> Apparently the reason is because SDL2 is not available in SLE 12 SP3,
> from the changelog:
> Sat Jun 23 22:21:48 UTC 2018 - bjorn.lie at gmail.com
>
> - Conditionalize pkgconfig(libopenjpeg) and pkgconfig(sdl2)
>    BuildRequires: Fix build for SLE 12 SP3.
>
> This could probably be fixed by adding a "|| 0{?is_opensuse}" to the
> corresponding %if in the package.
>
> That's not a Packman specific "problem" though, it's rather inherited
> from the standard openSUSE package.
> So you'd need to file a bug report at bugzilla.opensuse.org to get it
> fixed...
>
> Although, Leap 42.3 is nearly EOL, ffmpeg-3 in 15.0 and later does
> contain ffplay as well.

Thank you, Wolfgang.
It is not a big problem for me, but good to know the reasons.
Fun fact: ffplay from ffmpeg-3 package for 15.0 works without any
problems with 42.3 (needed it for Neverwinter Nights to play the videos
in-game).

Greetings,
Carsten
--
The state of some commercial Un*x is more unsecure than any Linux box
without a root password...