[packman] Bug: Package vlc for openSUSE Leap 15 doesn't create shortcuts in KDE's application launcher

Timo Sigurdsson public_timo.s at silentcreek.de
Tue May 29 10:27:54 CEST 2018

Hi,

I installed openSUSE Leap 15 this weekend and added the packman essentials repository. I installed VLC Media Player from packman and while vlc works fine, there are no shortcuts created in the application launcher. I would expect the application to appear under "Multimeda", but it doesn't. Neither is the application listed in the "Open with" dialogue when I right-click a file.
If I install vlc from the official openSUSE repositories, it is registered correctly, just not with the package from packman. I can run vlc manually and I can also manually add it to the application list, but I don't think that should be necessary.

One more observation: If I look at the file list of the package, I see some files installed in /usr/share/kde4/apps/. I don't know whether that's intentional, it just seemed odd since Leap 15 comes with KDE Plasma 5 and not KDE4.

Disclaimer: I'm new to openSUSE. So, I may as well be missing something (or a lot) here.

Thanks,

Timo

P.S.: This is a resend of an email I sent earlier, but didn't make it through to the list – probably, because I wasn't subscribed yet.