[packman] systemd unit file ignores minidlna default configuration

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 22:11:04 CET 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Bob Williams <usenet at karmasailing.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 21:05:49 +0100
> Grozdan <neutrino8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 8:51 PM, Bob Williams <usenet at karmasailing.uk>
>> wrote:
>> > My system is openSUSE Leap 42.3, and I am using the version of
>> > minidlna from the packman repository.
>> >
>> > For some time I have been successfully running a minidlna server
>> > which streams music to a Bose Soundtouch device over WiFi. However,
>> > it stopped working a few weeks ago, and the SoundTouch device could
>> > only find an empty folder.
>> >
>> > After several re-writes of /etc/minidlna.conf without success, and
>> > searching for other versions of minidlna.conf in non-default
>> > locations, I finally tracked the culprit down
>> > to /usr/lib/systemd/system/minidlna.service which contained the
>> > following:
>> >
>> > [Unit]
>> > Description=MiniDLNA UPnP-A/V and DLNA media server
>> > After=var-run.mount nss-lookup.target network.target
>> > remote-fs.target
>> >
>> > [Service]
>> > Type=forking
>> > PIDFile=/var/run/minidlnad.pid
>> > ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/minidlnaconfig
>> > EnvironmentFile=-/var/lib/minidlna/rescan.conf
>> > ExecStart=/usr/sbin/minidlnad $RESCAN -P /var/run/minidlnad.pid
>> > -f /var/lib/minidlna/minidlna.conf [0]
>> >
>> > [Install]
>> > WantedBy=multi-user.target
>> >
>> > So the unit file was forcing minidlna to use the configuration file
>> > in /var/lib/minidlna/minidlna.conf rather than the
>> > default /etc/minidlna.conf! /var/lib/minidlna/minidlna.conf pointed
>> > to media_dir=/mnt and was recreated at start-up, so even editing
>> > the media_dir= line didn't work. Changing the last line in the
>> > [Service] stanza to include "-f /etc/minidlna.conf" got things
>> > working again - and just in time for Christmas. ;-)
>> >
>> > I have no idea how this got changed, but I wonder if anyone else
>> > has come across anything similar?
>>
>> Works here without issues on 2 computers.
>> /var/lib/minidlna/minidlna.conf is used since we read
>> /etc/minidlna.conf on startup and create our own version in
>> /var/lib/minidlna. Tha's what the minidlnaconfig script does
>>
> Thank you for that explanation. I wasn't aware of that.
>
>> Nothing has changed in this configuration for the past few updates.
>> The last update was just adding a SuSEfirewall2 file. Nothing else was
>> touched
>>
> I don't use SuSEfirewall2 so it couldn't have been that. Must have been something here, though I've no idea what.

if your original email, you pasted the contents of the service file. I
notice a [0] at the very end of the ExecStart line. Is this [0]
actually present in the service file or did you made a mistake during
copy/paste?
if that  [0] is actually part of the service file, something has
changed the file. If not, everything looks fine to me and you may try
to stop minidlna, clean the /var/lib/minidlna directory completely and
lastly, configure /etc/minidlna.conf to your needs then start minidlna

> Bob
> --
> Bob Williams
>    System:  Linux 4.4.103-36-default
>    Distro:  openSUSE 42.3 (x86_64)
>    Desktop: KDE Frameworks: 5.32.0, Qt: 5.6.2 and Plasma: 5.8.7

Yours truly