[packman] [PM] kdenlive 16.11.90-3.5 (openSUSE Tumbleweed/i586)

Wolfgang Bauer e9325712 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 22 17:38:29 CET 2017

Am Montag, 20. März 2017, 18:55:23 CET schrieb Olaf Hering:
> What should be done with libmlt/kdenlive? In my testing the code in
> openSUSE:Factory builds just fine in SLE_12/Leap. Is it safe to enable
> these two packages unconditionally for both?

Personally, I see no reason not to offer a newer kdenlive.

 It should actually be more stable (because of additional bugfixes) AIUI. Also,
even if there would be problems, people could still use the standard version.
It's only a leaf package, and also not something that's essential for a
working system ;-) (it's not even installed by default...).

I checked and at least 17.04.x will still build on 42.2 with the standard Qt5
and KDE Frameworks... It will need a newer libmlt (>=6.4.0) though.
I of course cannot guarantee that this will continue to be the case, though I
don't really see a good reason currently why kdenlive might require a newer
Qt5 or KF5 in the foreseeable future.

Newer libmlt versions should be compatible enough so that packages built with
6.2.0 will still work I think. I did try that with kdenlive recently, i.e.
running kdenlive from the standard repos/Packman with a self-compiled libmlt
6.4.1.
But then, apparently kdenlive is the only package in Leap 42.2 that uses
libmlt anyway (according to "osc whatdependson").

So my opinion: go for it, especially considering that Packman used to provide
the latest kdenlive (and libmlt) since years.

Btw, to come back to the original question here: kdenlive 16.12.3 has been
accepted to Factory last weekend, and is available in the standard repos
meanwhile, and in Packman too.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang