[packman] PMBS - quo vadis?

Luigi Baldoni aloisio at gmx.com
Fri Feb 24 15:35:26 CET 2017

On Friday, 24 February 2017 Olaf Hering wrote:
> >What would be a proper replacement for full mplayer/mencoder
> >functionality?
>
> I do not know the answer to that.
> Not sure what the benefit of MPlayer is today.

Not many I think. The npapi plugin that interfaced it with firefox has been deleted, I believe.
But it would have to be dropped soon anyway.

SMplayer works best with it, since it talks to mpv via command line because the latter doesn't
support slave mode and there have been breakages in the past when switches were changed.
Also mpv is more bleeding edge and drops old versions of ffmpeg rather quickly.
Unsure about the encoder features, but mplayer has been stagnant for a while.

I couldn't locate gnome-mplayer either, perhaps it was caught by Scarabeus' deforestation? :)

Regards