[packman] New packages for packman (Walter Fey)

Walter Fey dl8fcl at darc.de
Thu Aug 3 20:53:50 CEST 2017

Hallo,

it is better to end this thread.

I do not intend any longer to submit my hamradio packages to Packman. In
order to free the limited resources of PMBS  the packages will be
removed very soon from my home project.

I will continue to update all packages necessary for my daily "busyness"
as hamradio operator in my home project at the openSUSE build service.
But I will not continue to maintain the hamradio project and remove
myself as user/maintainer. If somebody is interested to do this work in
future he can contact the remaining users/maintainers.

My suggestion to the Packman Team is to rework the point "What is the
Packman team doing" on your homepage. I understand the text "More
specifically, we do so for software that is not shipped as part of
distributions or that are shipped as an outdated version."  that the
hamradio packages would fit exactly to this.

For openSUSE it would be better to find somebody who is able and willing
to maintain the hamradio packages. Very often, when I talked to other
hamradio operators, they told me that openSUSE is no solution for them,
since there are no hamradio packages available like for Fedora and
Ubuntu. They always were astonished to hear about the hamradio project.
To publish these packages in official releases is a good idea as long as
they are kept really up to date. Very often, only the latest code from
github or sourceforge.net fulfills this. For example, hamlib has to
support transceivers/receivers, which are new on the market, as soon as
the update is available at
https://github.com/N0NB/hamlib/commits/master. A step back to the last
release, as it was done in hardware/sdr, was a bad idea. Fldigi should
not be a standalone package in a distribution. All Fl... packages from
http://www.w1hkj.com/ should be published together, since they all work
together as a NBEMS /(Narrow Band Emergency Messaging S/oftware) suite.

73, Walter DL8FCL

(73 = Ham lingo for "best regards." Used on phone, morse and digital
modes toward the end of a contact bettwen hamradio operators) -
http://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-glossary