[packman] New packages for packman (Walter Fey)

Walter Fey dl8fcl at darc.de
Tue Aug 1 13:31:05 CEST 2017

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 19:35:34 +0200
> From: Hans-Peter Jansen<hpj at urpla.net>
> To:packman at links2linux.de
> Subject: Re: [packman] New packages for packman
>
> On Montag, 31. Juli 2017 15:31:03 Walter Fey wrote:
>> Dear Packman Team
>>
>> Thank you for the access to PMBS.
>>
>> I added some hamradio related packages which are not available in the
>> official openSUSE distributions to my home project/subproject
>> "home:dl8fcl:hamradio". One package "gpredict" is available in Leap 42.3
>> as an old version. It is a fork of the package I was maintaining for a
>> long time. All these and more packages were maintained and updated by me
>> at the openSUSE Build Service, project hamradio.
>>
>> Meanwhile I do not update this openSUSE project any longer and like to
>> submit these packages to a project in PMBS from were they could be
>> published.
> Mind elaborating on your reasons on this move?
Please check my answer to Luigi Baldonis mail further down in the text.
> Cheers,
> Pete
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 19:54:48 +0200
> From: "Luigi Baldoni"<aloisio at gmx.com>
> To:packman at links2linux.de
> Subject: Re: [packman] New packages for packman

> Sent: Monday, July 31, 2017 at 3:31 PM
> From: "Walter Fey"<dl8fcl at darc.de>
>> I added some hamradio related packages which are not available in the
>> official openSUSE distributions to my home project/subproject
>> "home:dl8fcl:hamradio". One package "gpredict" is available in Leap 42.3
>> as an old version. It is a fork of the package I was maintaining for a
>> long time. All these and more packages were maintained and updated by me
>> at the openSUSE Build Service, project hamradio.
> I thought packman was, for the most part, reserved to packages that (chiefly
> for legal reasons) couldn't be hosted on OBS.
The Packman Homepage says:
"What is the Packman team doing ?
We build software packages to enable users to easily install and remove
software on Linux.
More specifically, we do so for software that is not shipped as part of
distributions or that are
shipped as an outdated version."
I think these packages meet this.
> May we ask what's wrong
> with the hamradio project?

 From the very beginning SUSE LINUX contained a lot of hamradio related
packages. In 2005 these hamradio packages were dropped from the official
distribution. A few hamradio operators and LINUX enthusiasts took this
packages and started the hamradio project at openSUSE. Most of the
packages that are available today in hamradio were started after this. I
joined this group in 2008. Meanwhile all of the initial maintainers are
no longer active and most of the improvements, updates and new packages
during the last years were done by me.
A few weeks ago I was informed by somebody, who is member of the
openSUSE Board and employee of the SUSE GmbH, that the form as this was
done for more than ten years is not welcome anymore.

>> Meanwhile I do not update this openSUSE project any longer and like to
>> submit these packages to a project in PMBS from were they could be
>> published.
I do not intend to move all packages to PMBS, only the ones which I
think are most interesting. One package,  r2t2gui, had not published in
openSUSE hamradio before. I developed and test it during the last weeks
in my home project.
> They could be published, but they would also need to be maintained as much
> as on OBS.
> I mean, I get the part about not having time anymore, but what's the
> difference compared to where they are now?
A nice side effect of this change can be, that the Packman repository is
well known and the packages can be found easier by people who are
looking for hamradio programs.
It would be pleasure for me to continue updating and maintaining these
packages, now in the PMBS.

Best regards, Walter DL8FCL