[packman] kodi and handbrake (at least) fail to build on current Tumbleweed (was: What is the status of Packman for/on current Tumbleweed?)

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Sun Jul 31 16:10:07 CEST 2016

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016, 15:58:21 +0200, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2016, 14:52:08 +0200, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> > Moin,
> >
> > On Sun, 31 Jul 2016, 14:39:56 +0200, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> > > [...] but at least the libnfs package is not so easy to explain:
> > >
> > > # zypper in libnfs8 -libnfs
> > > Reading installed packages...
> > > Resolving package dependencies...
> > >
> > > Problem: kodi-16.1-1.9.x86_64 requires libnfs, but this requirement cannot be provided
> > >   deleted providers: libnfs-1.10.0-1.7.x86_64
> > >  Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
> > >   deinstallation of kodi-16.1-1.9.x86_64
> > >   deinstallation of kodi.binary-addons-pvr.vuplus-16.1-1.22.x86_64
> > >  Solution 2: keep libnfs-1.10.0-1.7.x86_64
> > >  Solution 3: break kodi-16.1-1.9.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies
> > >
> > > Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/3/c] (c):
> > >
> > > So, kodi (at least) hasn't be rebuilt against current Tumbleweed for
> > > quite some time, has it?
> >
> > hmm, looking at kodi's build results in pmbs shows that there are issues
> > caused by switching to gcc6. There is a patch for this available at
> >
> >   <https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9703>
> >
> > Can someone please add this to the package in Multimedia?
>
> hmm, and package "handbrake" appears to depend on the various libav* and
> related packages apparently coming from ffmpeg-3.1 which is no longer
> provided by Packman but now reuses old ffmpeg-2.8 from oS:multimedia:libs
> Looking at "handbrake"'s build results shows "unresolvable".
>
> I'm afraid, moving back/using packages like ffmpeg etc. to oS is not
> actually working in the current state.

Adding openSUSE:multimedia:libs to my current system also doesn't really
look promising:

  # zypper dup -D --from multimedia:libs.obs
  Reading installed packages...
  Computing distribution upgrade...
  219 Problems:

It looks like it would be really replacing everything from former
Packman and those packages actually coming from Tumbleweed itself.
Filtering out those package from Tumbleweed to keep instead of m:l looks
a bit teadious to me. To be honest, the previous situation where one
would install plain Tumbleweed and then adds Packman's repositories for
the most relevant packages is much more appealing. I'd really prefer to
have a _usable_ basic OS installation with a Packman dropin to provide
everything for all those bad codecs looked compared to what we have
now, no?

This leads me back to my initial question: What is the current
recommendation for using Packman on Tumbleweed - now extended by "and
not having to add openSUSE:multimedia:libs"?

TIA, cheers.

l8er
manfred