[packman] ffmpeg nvenc support

Luigi Baldoni aloisio at gmx.com
Sun Jul 3 10:37:11 CEST 2016

Jimmy Berry <jimmy at ...> writes:

> I was asked about nvenc encoding support for obs-studio by
> Mir_Poweredge in IRC. Since I do not have an nvidia test machine I
> have never concerned myself with the support, but I decided to look
> into it.
>
> It looks like a new package with:
> - nvEncodeAPI.h header files from the NVENC SDK
>
> Then ffmpeg updating to include as build dep and --enable-nvenc added to
config.

> See https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro#NVENC.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts on legality of packaging the header file
> from SDK or has any of this been discussed before?

You could have added that the header is MIT licensed and gives explicit
permission to distribute it:)

Plus, since any interaction with the nVidia binaries occurs at runtime,
there is no remote chance of dodgy linking.

Furthermore, the FSF considers it compatible with GPL:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#X11License .

Personally I would just submit it to multimedia:libs and see if it passes
muster when it's submitted to Factory and SUSE lawyers have fun at
nitpicking. Although perhaps the scope of their examination would be partial.

Regards