[packman] Low memory problem with Extra/blender

Dave Plater davejplater at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 07:58:30 CET 2015

On 12/5/15, Jimmy Berry <jimmy at boombatower.com> wrote:
> I ran into the same problem when we talked about this a short while
> back and it seemed like you indicated you solved the problem. The
> _constraints file does exactly as the name suggests and should contain
> the build to only machines that can supply the requirements for the
> build process. It was an attempt to require the amount of RAM one
> needs. As I mentioned on the previous thread none of the pmbs machines
> seem to provide enough to bump it very high as the job just stays in
> the scheduling phase (don't remember specific value), but I believe
> the maintainer of pmbs mentioned he was upgrading some of the machines
> or somesuch which would provide a bit more.
>
> https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/rdiff/Extra/blender?linkrev=base&rev=13
> I presume that never built in your home:davepl/blender so you
> shouldn't be submitting that to the Extra package as it won't build
> there either. Check the email thread but 1.3 or 1.5GB was about as
> much as pmbs provides.
>
> You should just look at the output of `osc` command to as there are a
> few different ways to link the package. You probably just want `osc
> linkpac`. I had a link when I originally branched from b.o.o which
> seemed to work, but is not indicated in web interface. Otherwise, it
> seemed to function as expected.
>
> The diff I had between pmbs blender and upstream (b.o.o) was only a
> few tweaks to build with extra features so it shouldn't be a big deal
> to turn on.
>
> --
> Jimmy
I also get out of memory failures with graphics/blender but PMBS
factory is the hardest to build. I have to trigger rebuild a couple of
times to get a build.
I've asked on the packaging list how to graph the memory and disk
usage of a local build and hopefully I can fix the problem. I've got
graphics/blender building about 99% of the time by using only one job
for external/libmv and limiting parallel build to two but this just
extends the build time so if I can get a perfect PMBS build.
I want blender to be linked to graphics/blender but if I have to
trigger rebuilds every time ffmpeg updates it's a problem.
Regards
Dave