[packman] Latest VLC broken?

Wolfgang Bauer e9325712 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 6 13:22:27 CEST 2014

Am Sonntag, 28. September 2014, 13:38:34 schrieb Malte Gell:
> Holy crap!
>
> When I use
>
> export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so
>
> vlc works just fine!

I had the same crash on one system (but not on others). That LD_PRELOAD trick
works here as well.

Actually it is vlc-cache-gen that's crashing.  And the crash is caused by the
fluidsynth plugin. That crash was the reason why VLC was built without
fluidsynth support since a year ago, but recently it got enabled again.

vlc-cache-gen is called by VLC on startup when no plugins cache
/usr/lib(64)/vlc/plugins/plugins.dat exists.
It is also called during package installation to create that cache in the
first place, but of course crashes there too, that's why the cache doesn't
exist at all.

If you run "sudo LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib64/vlc/vlc-
cache-gen -f /usr/lib64/vlc/plugins" it should successfully create the cache,
and VLC should work fine without LD_PRELOAD afterwards (until the cache is
being regenerated by a VLC update).

Strange enough, the fluidsynth plugin works just fine then, it's only the
cache creation that crashes.

Ubuntu e.g. installs a plugins.dat that's shipped in the package to work
around that crash apparently:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vlc/2.0.0-1

I guess that's not feasible for openSUSE's setup.
But we could add that LD_PRELOAD to the vlc-cache-gen call in the spec file,
that should "fix" the problem.
I will create a submit request shortly...

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang