[packman] too much updates

Guido Berhoerster guido+links2linux.de at berhoerster.name
Fri Mar 28 12:49:17 CET 2014

* Hendrik Vogelsang <hvogel at hennevogel.de> [2014-03-28 12:05]:
> Hey,
>
> On 27.03.2014 17:21, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
>
> > The alternative would be to have separate
> > projects for each release and linking the Packman packages to the
> > corresponding Packages in stable releases on OBS
>
> One of the main reasons for having Packman is to provide updates to the
> latest and greatest versions of various packages....

I don't agree that it is that clear cut, it means different
things to different people and its meaning has also shifted over
time. Before SUSE was open to external contributions it was one
of the major providers of additional packages, nowadays the most
important role is probably as a provider of packages which are in
high demand but cannot be included in the distribution itself
because of software patents though some use it to the latest and
greatest packages as well.
I sympathize with the sentiment against the update churn and
would prefer to have something like a Essentials project building
linked against packages of stable releases but so far I find it
still more convenient to use Essentials as is rather than
building it myself.
--
Guido Berhoerster