[packman] GStreamer on 13.1

Cristian Morales Vega reddwarf at opensuse.org
Mon Nov 11 16:10:51 CET 2013

On 11 November 2013 15:02, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB at opensuse.org> wrote:
> On 11 November 2013 15:57, Cristian Morales Vega <reddwarf at opensuse.org> wrote:
>> You shouldn't try to install both, only 1.2. Can I see that "auto
>> solver pop up"?
>
> Here it is: http://i2.minus.com/iVUjY1o1xdg4S.png

I don't use Gnome, but that seems to be the "GStreamer-PackageKit integration".
It appears automatically when you try to play a video for which you
don't have the decoder?
If so, trying to install both 1.0 and 1.2 is a bug in the
"GStreamer-PackageKit integration". You should report it at
https://bugzilla.novell.com/. If you assign it to the Gnome team I am
sure you will get a reply soon.
By the way, the fact that "gstreamer-plugins-base-1.0.10-2.1.3
(64-bit)" appears twice is clearly an indication that something is
wrong there.

>>> Can we get all the packages for 13.1 set to gstreamer 1.0.x, or find out
>>> what's really going on?
>>
>> From http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/news/
>> "The GStreamer team is pleased to announce the first release of the
>> stable 1.2 release series. The 1.2 release series is adding new
>> features on top of the 1.0 series and is part of the API and
>> ABI-stable 1.x release series of the GStreamer multimedia framework
>> that contains new features."
>>
>> I didn't have time (or a proper computer) to check. But AFAIKT
>> GStreamer 1.2 is 100% compatible with GStreamer 1.0. What's the
>> problem?
>> If the problem is that the Totem package is hardcoding a dependency to
>> GStreamer == 1.0 then what must be fixed is the Totem package. But
>> looking at https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:13.1/totem
>> I can't see such a thing.
>
> I can understand where you're coming from, but if that was the case,
> then I shouldn't be having any problem playing media on my 13.1
> laptop. Can you get it working fine?

I don't have a 13.1 system yet.
But you should be able to use zypper to install the GStreamer (1.2)
packages from Packman manually and then the GStreamer-PackageKit
integration will not be needed.