[packman] x264 10-bit Update

Kalileo kalileo at universalx.net
Thu Mar 7 11:41:01 CET 2013

Marguerite Su <i <at> marguerite.su> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Thomas Guymer
[snip]
> Under such concern, I enabled the 10bit depth.
>
> So can you explain under what situation you need to encode with a
> `baseline` profile?
>
> As I know, such profile are pretty _basic_, it limits usage of many
> advanced features of x264 so that it can't show the advantage of using
> x264 to encode.
>
> If you're encoding a video, actually high444 profile is the most
> commonly used one. it can produce HD video with an acceptable size.
>
> Greetings
>
> Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

this does not only brake profile baseline, but also profile main.

Of course these profiles do not deliver the same quality
as high444.

However there are millions of devices out there which
require baseline or main profile.
These are almost all mobile devices running Android or iOS.

I have to search now for an older version and install it,
and probably many many others too.

Regards,
Kalileo