[packman] Build host memory limits

Guido Berhoerster guido+links2linux.de at berhoerster.name
Thu Jul 25 11:21:41 CEST 2013

* Stefan Botter <jsj at jsj.dyndns.org> [2013-07-25 10:58]:
> Henne, my man ;-)
>
> On Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:24:31 AM Hendrik Vogelsang wrote:
> > On 24.07.2013 12:23, Stefan Botter wrote:
> :
> > > I am not really sure, how the contraints management in OBS is
> > > working (regarding the workers). As usual the documentation is
> > > sparse at best. I do not know how the dispatcher gets to know of
> > > the capabilities of workers, and if this is a feature in newer
> > > versions of the workers only.
> >
> > The hardware get's analyzed every time a build is run (see
> > $workerenvstate in bs_worker) and with the _constraints file you can
> > match against that.
> >
> > > My workers "should" provide the necessary resources, at least
> > > swkj04 and swkj07, the workers run in chroot mode and have thus,
> > > at least potentially, access to the whole system resources, as
> > > long as the other processed do not fill up their (RAM)disks to the
> > > max.
> >
> > In the same function you'll find the explanation. memory is undefined
> > in non vm mode since no guarantees exist :-)
>
> So having the _contraints in an all-chroot env is worthless, or better
> "buildless" ;-)

That's not good, it means the build success of such packages
essentially depends on the build host's current load. That's what
I've been experiencing before the recent outage where I needed to
manually trigger builds that take ~ 40min until they fail during
linking numerous times until they succeeded.
--
Guido Berhoerster