[packman] [PM] handbrake-unstable 0.9.8+4972-2.16 (openSUSE 12.2/x86_64)

Marguerite Su i at marguerite.su
Wed Jan 30 13:10:41 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Tim Gibson <tdegibson at gmail.com> wrote:
> And response was...
>
> Are you building HandBrake yourself? If so, you need to *not* use
> "--debug=max". Enabling "max" debugging also enables asserts() in libav.
> libav has a few asserts() for cases that are common non-fatal code paths.
> If you are not building yourself, you need to have a talk with your
> packager.
>

> Is "--debug=max" enabled?  I've only loaded the gtk and cli packages but no
> debug ones trying to get this working right...
>
> A bump to changeset 5092 would be cool but one problem at a time...

Hi Tim,

I updated handbrake-unstable for the last time.

Here're some explanations for you inquiry:

1. Is "-debug=max" enabled?

yes, `--debug=max` is enabled and we also enabled `strip=/bin/true`,
the concern is to generate -debuginfo and -debugsource packages. So
when upstream tell you to give a gdb testcase, you won't give them an
useless report full of `xxx is missing`.

For normal packages in OBS and Packman, this procedure is a standard
way. enable debug and strip debug information to a separate package
which will not affect normal package from running and harm its
stability (maybe sacrifice its speed, I don't know)

Basically it's upstream's responsibility to make their debug stuff
standalone, which means it can be enabled and stripped off without
harming the core. If there're cases like:

normal: super fast
debug: go to another slow way in code

Then they should explicitly tell at least packagers so that we can
workaround by creating separate build project like "kernel-debug".
even for ffmpeg we build with debug enabled...and every OBS package
are built with $RPM_OPT_FLAGS which has a -g2 or something...

Sadly we didn't find such notes on handbrake yet.

2. Why we use so many outside libraries?

They're downloaded from handbrake.fr. If I remembered correctly, in
the INSTALL file or something, they told us to do so. Because the
tarballs are patched by handbrake upstream, without them we can't even
build handbrake.

Greetings,

Marguerite