[packman] [opensuse] vlc broken; kdenlive

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 9 09:32:57 CEST 2013

On Friday, August 09, 2013 12:59:01 AM Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-08-08 23:27 (GMT+0100) Cristian Morales Vega composed:
> > Felix Miata wrote:
> >> If vlc-codecs is required for VLC to function, why wasn't it
> >> installed automatically in conjunction with installing vlc?
> >
> > Packman is broken:
> > http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2013-04/msg00202.html
>
> So I guess one who needs such apps as Packman hosts should be running
> Mageia or Fedora instead. It's a shame, as all I'm actually looking
> for is to strip commercials from DVB recording files. :-(

One could of course argue, that not Packman is broken, but zypper (or
rpm) is.
Packman uses an older version of createrepo (on debian), which does not
know yet of these "soft-dependencies" or sugestions. Using the older
version is for a reason, mainly because of use of debian and the fact,
that the last stable version of createrepo does not have this feature.
So at least for now there are no suggestions, see PM-4, an it is not
that "Packman is broken".

If a new feature is introduced, it should have been tolerant to older
versions of the repos.

Stefan
--
Stefan Botter zu Hause