[packman] Miro does not start on openSUSE 12.3

Rick Chung amon0.thoth1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 06:27:09 CEST 2013

On Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:37:40 PM Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> to. den 04. 04. 2013 klokka 12.31 (-0500) skreiv Rick Chung:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I pull Miro from packman repo on openSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10.
> >
> > When I try to start Miro it never start but hanging on.
>
> Yes, Miro doesn’t work in openSUSE anymore, since libwebkit is now
> compiled against gstreamer 1.0 instead of 0.10. There is no way of
> fixing this (besides compiling the libraries to use 0.10).
>
> See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.package-management.packman/7516
> for more information.

Thank you for that generous enlightment. It helped me to get a closer
understanding on these processes.

In the meantime, I downloaded Banshee Media Player. It has a light Miro
instance included. And it is able to play with no issues. Downgrading
Gstreamer versions from 1.0 to 0.10 was not needed to make it work.

Maybe next openSUSE 13.1 release will complete the GStreamer
versions transition and we will be able to play Miro Standalone again.

Regards,
-----
Ricardo Chung | Panama
Ambassador and Member