[packman] Maintainers speak up

Stefan Seyfried stefan.seyfried at googlemail.com
Sun May 6 12:34:59 CEST 2012

Am 04.05.2012 20:14, schrieb Pascal Bleser:

> On 2012-05-04 18:36:26 (+0100), Cristian Morales Vega <reddwarf at opensuse.org> wrote:

>> transcode is dead, let's accept it. And I see 11 packages that require
>> it. Either the dependencies are wrong or those packages should have
>> already started to move to something else. Those packages are usually
>> DVD related... we are in 2012!!! DVDs??? Who uses those any more?
>
> dvdrip is still quite popular though, afaik. At least we did get
> bug reports about it not too long ago.
> mythtv uses it too.

At least creating DVDs is definitely useful. Try handing over some VDR
recording to my parents-in-law and watch them trying to watch it ;)
Just running it throgh dvdwizard and burning it on a disk is more effective.

While going through the build failures in Extra, I found quite some
packages that are already maintained in openSUSE BS (and not only taken
from packman to build there but also the other way round and then
seemingly abandoned on packman).

I'll put up a list of those to discuss removing them from packman sooner
or later.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"