[packman] Package update workflow?

Cristian Morales Vega reddwarf at opensuse.org
Fri May 4 17:21:48 CEST 2012

On 4 May 2012 15:58, Cristian Morales Vega <reddwarf at opensuse.org> wrote:
> On 4 May 2012 15:39, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> a small question wrt. the workflow in pmbs -- in order to not step on
>> anyone's toes :-)
>>
>> In order to update clipgrab to the latest version, I have linked it into
>> home:seife and updated it there. It builds fine.
>>
>> The question is: what to do now? Submitrequest and self-accept?
>> Submitrequest and wait for somebody else to accept?
>>
>> Should I commit directly to Extra next time? (I wouldn't like that
>> because I usually want to test if it really builds and works... :-)
>
> Good question. In my first commit I was said to never again create a
> branch because the build power was too limited. Then people complained
> because of committing directly. Once I got a submit request I didn't
> like accepted by somebody else. I saw people in this mailing list
> discussing different ways to fix something and never getting an answer
> (and the problem remained unfixed).
>
> Now I created a bug (PM-15) and a submit request (#192) for a fix that
> for me is so obvious that shouldn't require any discussion. And for a
> package that I don't think has any real active maintainer any more (I
> guess Pascal will be the one to accept it).
> So... there is no clear policy. And if you trust the
> maintainer/bugowner tags in the package metadata it's easy to be
> worried about stepping on the toes of somebody that isn't there.

This said. IMHO a change like
http://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/rdiff?opackage=clipgrab&oproject=Extra&package=clipgrab&project=home%3Aseife
could be submitted without asking anybody (whatever way you prefer, I
don't think anybody is so worried about the build power any more). You
changed the version tag and substituted the binary by the new one and
verified it builds... I would let a script do that!!