[packman] Amarok

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 15:05:01 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Hartmut <spieluhr at ewetel.net> wrote:

> Am 07.03.2012 10:42, schrieb todd rme:
>
>> Amarok depends on phonon for actually generating sound, the backends are
>> handled by phonon. Phonon has an rpm recommends for a backend, which means a
>> backend will be installed unless a user specifically overrides it. To make
>> sure you have the necessary recommends you can always run: zypper inr
>

> Thats the point: if Amarok uses Phonon, then Amarok should play, if Phonon
> works. If Amarok does not play, nobody should tell to use another backend,
> if the backend is working. So it is a bug in Amarok 2.5 ....

The point is the backend is most likely not working with the current
version of phonon, nor should you expect it to work since it is not
supported by current version of phonon.

The backend is just that, a backend.  It doesn't do anything on its
own, it has to work through phonon.  It isn't just a matter of the
backend working on its own and phonon working on its own, they have to
be able to work with each other, and they don't do that reliably
anymore.

>> If, as you said, you only use stable software, you should not use the xine
>> backend, since it is unsupported and untested for the last few releases of
>> phonon. It probably will not be in the next openSUSE release at all. -Todd
>
> If eryery thing works fine since years with Xine as a backend, then Xine is
> stable. I am the tester! My other old computer is build 1999 and it is
> unsupported since now 10 years, but it is working fine and running stable -
> so what?

The problem is that the combination of software you are using is not
stable.  The xine backend may have worked fine with old versions of
phonon, but phonon has been changing and advancing while the xine
backend has not been kept compatible with those changes.

-Todd