[packman] Amarok

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:42:01 CET 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Hartmut <spieluhr at ewetel.net> wrote:
> Am 06.03.2012 17:47, schrieb Martin Schlander:
>
>> Tirsdag den 6. marts 2012 17:04:33 Hartmut skrev:
>>>
>>> My Backend is xine and I never use "UpdatedApps", I need stable versions.
>>
>> Try the VLC or even the gstreamer backend. The Xine phonon backend is
>> unmaintained upstream - and not recommended for quite some time.
>>
>> KDE:UpdatedApps only has stable (upstream) versions, except for very
>> special
>> cases.
>
> My first post was meant as an information for packegers. If Amarok does not
> recommend any backend as depency, then some users may have troubles.

Amarok depends on phonon for actually generating sound, the backends
are handled by phonon.  Phonon has an rpm recommends for a backend,
which means a backend will be installed unless a user specifically
overrides it.  To make sure you have the necessary recommends you can
always run: zypper inr

>I do
> not hav any, cause I use Amarok 2.4.3. and Xine as backend. I do not want to
> use any other backend than Xine, everything with multimedia runs fine for
> me, since Xine exists ....(Digikam does not play videos - I got the advice:
> use gstreamer and dragonplayer to no avail! I think there is a little bit do
> you until we have a kind of standart).

gstreamer is the recommended backend, vlc is a good alternative.  The
xine backend has not been worked on in a long time and if it still
works at all at this point it is just luck, and it will almost
certainly have serious bugs.

If, as you said, you only use stable software, you should not use the
xine backend, since it is unsupported and untested for the last few
releases of phonon.  It probably will not be in the next openSUSE
release at all.

-Todd