[packman] Clean up PMOBS part 1: gstreamer

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Tue Feb 28 21:18:37 CET 2012

On 2012-02-28 16:06:42 (+0100), Detlef Reichelt <detlef at die-mafia.de> wrote:
> Hi,

> i've setup an own OBS to fix/cleanup gstreamer for PMOBS, as you can
> see (1), for every $DIST an extra version of gstreamer. Also build
> required packages only if $DIST doesn't fullfill the requires. For
> example:

> 1140_libmms

> Build libmms up to 1140, 1210 and later have libmms in oss.

> If nobody have a problem with this style, i ci it to PMOBS.

I do, please don't commit those changes.
I'm not sure about a better solution yet, but that is a very
radical change that has quite a lot of consequences:

* we don't link from multimedia:libs any more, hence duplication
  of work (arguably, there are issues in that repository, I've
  tried to explain that to maintainers there),

* "frozen" packages rather than "the latest": both options are
  fine, but we always did the latter (ideally we'd have both),

* I believe we should rather use different OBS _projects_ to do
  that, rather than those weird package names.

On the latter: what about

* Essentials-11.4 -> frozen uncrippled versions of what ships with
                     openSUSE 11.4 (oss)
* Essentials-12.1 -> same for 12.1
* Essentials -> latest, built for 11.4, 12.1 and Factory

For SLE11, I guess we only need a "Essentials-SLE11" and not
build for SLE11 in "Essentials", as it's going more and more out
of date.

Dunno about Tumbleweed. It's not much different from Factory,
hence only built in "Essentials".

But let's please give it more thought before making changes.

Thanks on your work on this, let's try to find an optimal way.

And if people want to help out by maintaining packages, please
speak up. Would be even better if we could re-assign
maintainership across a lot more people.

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser
  /\\ http://opensuse.org -- we haz green