[packman] Issue with ffmpeg packages?

David Rosky dave.rosky at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:38:26 CET 2012

Hello,

I am having an issue with packman ffmpeg packages on OpenSuse 12.1 (ffmpeg
+ libavcodec53 + libavformat53, x86_64).  The problem is that if I run
"ffmpeg -codecs", the audio codec pcm_s16 shows up as Decode only:

D A D  pcm_s16le       PCM signed 16-bit little-endian

However, if I encode a file from the command line using pcm_s16le, the
codec really is there (the encoding for pcm_s16le works).

The problem is that the MLT library (used by Kdenlive), "thinks" that there
is no pcm_s16le encoder because ffmpeg reports that there is none.  This
causes a lot of the rendering profiles to be broken.

The reason I am asking this question to the Packman maintainers is because
I also have ffmpeg on Ubuntu (Mint 12), and this problem does not happen
there, ffmpeg reports that the pcm_s16le is supported for encoding, so the
problem seems to be specific to the Packman packages for ffmpeg.

Thank you very much,

David