[packman] Gamin conflicts

Cristian Morales Vega reddwarf at opensuse.org
Mon Apr 9 23:06:11 CEST 2012

On 8 April 2012 14:50, RGB ES <rgb.mldc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm on openSUSE 11.4, 64 bits. Since a couple of days, when trying to
> update the system I get a package conflict with gamin: it seems that
> gamin-server, gamin-devel and related packages on the server were
> updated to version 0.1.10-16-1, but gamin package itself just
> disappeared: there is nothing to update the gamin 0.1.10-6.3 package
> installed on my system, hence the conflict.

This comes from a weird situation in the main OBS where two packages
were developed in parallel.
It could be fixed, but I still don't know why Packman is offering
gamin to start with...

libgmerlin-avdecoder-devel requires gamin-devel. It's already quite
suspicious that an avdecoder requires a "File Alteration Monitor"
system... but if you look at the non devel packages you see they don't
have any gamin requirement. Unless it's dlopen()ed it's just not
needed. (IMHO those million -devel hardcoded Requires in some -devel
packages are just crazy, impossible to maintain and only produce
problems like this one).
And something similar happens with gstreamer-0_10-buzztard-devel.
That's it, nothing else in my Packman 12.1 repository requires gamin.