[packman] Packman mirror issue

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Thu Mar 10 18:53:32 CET 2011

On 2011-03-08 06:04:22 (-0700), Don Raboud <don.raboud at ualberta.ca> wrote:
> Gentlemen,

Hi Don
(sorry for the late reply)

> I hope I am directing this to the right people...

Sounds about right ;)

> I picked a bad time to update (zypper up) my opensuse 11.3 apparently,
> I was unaware that packman was currently undergoing significant changes.

I announced it on opensuse-project at opensuse.org, on
packman at links2linux.de, on forums.opensuse.org, and blogged
about it which was aggregated on planet.opensuse.org -- what did
I miss ? :)

> I current have 29 updates that can't be found where zypper is looking for them under
> <http://mirror.geht-schon.de/packman.links2linux.de/suse/11.3>
> They do however seem to exist under
> <http://mirror.geht-schon.de/packman.links2linux.de/suse/openSUSE_11.3/Essentials/>
> but zypper isn't looking for them there.

Mmmmkay, strange.

So, here is how this works:
* we have 4 individual/separate repositories that have their own
  metadata and, hence, are repositories in their own right:
  * Essentials
  * Multimedia
  * Extra
  * Games

Note that all of them rely on Essentials, so if you add e.g.
Multimedia or Extra, you *must* also add Essentials.

To add one of those:
$ zypper ar \
http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_11.3/Essentials/packman-essentials.repo
or
$ zypper ar \
http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_11.3/Multimedia/packman-multimedia.repo

* we also have one "big" repository that has the metadata of
  *all* the packages, which means all of those that are in
  Essentials, Multimedia, Extra and Games -- this is for people
  who prefer to just add one repository and have everything they
  used to have with Packman before we changed the repository
  layout; this does not duplicate any packages, we simply
  aggregate the metadata of all the RPM files in the
  subdirectories

To add the "big" repository:
$ zypper ar \
http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_11.3/packman.repo

That being said, we have indeed been working on that repository
layout switch, and Marc Schiffbauer and I spent a few nights
hacking on it -- it's particularily non trivial to avoid having
mirrors that pull files from the repositories while our build
server pushes files into the same tree.

We finally managed to finalize it today, so you most probably
ran into such an inconsistency.

Please try again, and let us know whether you're still running
into that issue.

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser