[packman] Can somebody explain Can somebody explain mjpegtools19 please.

Dave Plater davejplater at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 17:14:28 CEST 2011

On 06/18/2011 05:20 PM, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
> On 18 June 2011 15:49, Manfred Tremmel<manfred at links2linux.de>  wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 18. Juni 2011 schrieb Malcolm:

>>> Hi
>>> Looks like it's the 1.9.0 release, the other is 2.0.0
>>>
>>> http://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/files?package=mjpegtools19&projec
>>> t=Essentials
>>>
>>> http://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/files?package=mjpegtools&project=
>>> Essentials
>> That's correct, mjpegtools 1.9.0 and 2.0.0 is not compatible and some
>> packages do not compile with 2.0.0. So I've put the old one as
>> mjpegtools19 on the build server. I hope we can remove it in a short
>> time, when all programms are updated to support mjpegtools 2.0.0.
There aren't any abi changes in mjpegtools and there's about two headers gone and two new so these programs that build with 1.9.0 should
build with mjpegutils.2..0.0 unless they have a problem with any of the changed headers. Programs compiled against 1.9.0 should be able to
run with 2.0.0 according to the abi checking tool, I tested it with libpython3 "3.1 to 3.2" and it's spot on with the documented abi
changes. If I had a web site, I could post the html reports.
The changed headers are :
-/usr/include/mjpegtools/mpeg2enc/ontheflyratectlpass1.hh
-/usr/include/mjpegtools/mpeg2enc/ontheflyratectlpass2.hh
+/usr/include/mjpegtools/mpeg2enc/ontheflyratectl.hh
+/usr/include/mjpegtools/mpeg2enc/pass1ratectl.hh
+/usr/include/mjpegtools/mpeg2enc/pass2ratectl.hh
Interestingly, one of these headers and it's predecessor has a symbol redefinition error.
> No that I think it's a bad idea to have both. But the only package
> that required one of
>
> liblavfile-1.9.so.0
> liblavjpeg-1.9.so.0
> libmjpegutils-1.9.so.0
> liblavplay-1.9.so.0
> liblavrec-1.9.so.0
> libmpeg2encpp-1.9.so.0
> libmplex2-1.9.so.0
>
> that I found is the original openSUSE version of gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad.

Mjpegtools almost gets a clean bill of health, just two headers with symbol redefinition, which look to me like they're most probably
missing an "#ifdef" and the lack of proper so versioning. I think the libs should be .so.0.2.0 due to a couple of api additions and
changes. The next place to check would most probably be gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad or where ever the mjpegtools dependency has moved. The
mjpegtools pkgconfig file seems lacking "-l" statements for some of the libs which aren't linked to libmjpegutils even. I'll patch that.
The mjpegtools19 devel package conflicts the 2.0.0 devel package almost everywhere and needs fixing. Like I said, I'm unable to install
packages built in my home project so I can't test installation problems.
Regards
Dave