[packman] Claws Mail 3.8.0 unleashed!!

Jonathan Hooverman jonathan.hooverman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 13:14:43 CET 2011

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 01:22:10 +0100
wrote Smartysmart34 <smartysmart34 at web.de>:

> Packman used to be THE one stop shop for everything that mattered
> besides the main Repo (by MAIN I mean the setup repos OSS and Non-OSS,
> not OBS)

I could not have described this more accurate. Started loving Linux
with SuSE Linux 7.3 and whenever I did not find a package in OSS or
non-OSS I went to the de-facto-standard-repo at packman and my search
always ended successfully.

Now many packages are distributed widely over OBS. Sure, they can be
found via http://software.opensuse.org/search but from a users point of
view this is not very comfortable for me to keep my installation
up-to-date.

I understand, that it makes no sense to maintain a package twice - once
in OBS and a second time at packman - but this fact is closely linked
to the question of what target will be followed by the packman team.

Will Packman concentrate on multimedia packages or will Packman
disappear once all or the most packages are in OBS?

Jon.