[packman] Claws Mail 3.8.0 unleashed!!

Malcolm malcolm_lewis at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 31 01:31:37 CET 2011

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 01:22:10 +0100
Smartysmart34 <smartysmart34 at web.de> wrote:

> Am 30.12.2011 22:35, schrieb Mariusz Fik:
> >
> > Because it's much easier for 'end user' to find it in main repo
> > instead adding a new one every time when she/he needs install extra
> > software. The stories like, 'add this repo to install X, add this
> > one to get Y, etc' - don't sound good, especially for new users...
>
> Sorry, but: lol
>
> Packman used to be THE one stop shop for everything that mattered
> besides the main Repo (by MAIN I mean the setup repos OSS and Non-OSS,
> not OBS)
>
> And today?
>
> - Assault-Cube is in OBS games
> - RawTherapee is in graphics
> - Sometimes when asking for current Firefox one is linked to the OBS
> mozilla-repo instead of Suse-Update (ok, not a Packman issue here)
> - plus a whole bunch of others, sometimes even suspicious homebrew
> repos
>
> To me, OBS is the exact opposite of what packman used to be:
> - No quality assured
> - various repos which hopefully add up to a runing system
> - unclear what can be found where
>
> While one used to need oss, non-oss, update and packman in the past,
> there is the need for half a dozend other repos today. So what have
> you been talking about when saying "find it in main repo"? Let me
> copy it again:
>
> > The stories like, 'add this repo to install X, add this one to get
> > Y,
> etc' -
> > don't sound good, especially for new users...
>
> Right. So very right. And it is exactly what the Packman
> reorganisation made reality.
>
> I clearly vote to go back to the old approach: Packman as a high
> quality one stop shop.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
Hi
No quality?? sorry I don't agree. The main reason for the various
repositories is they are the 'development' ones for factory and
ultimately the next openSUSE release.

Build power is the main reason AFAIK, if it can be built on OBS then
that's were it will be....

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.0-1.2-desktop