[packman] [opensuse-factory] make it just work

Greg KH gregkh at suse.de
Mon Apr 11 21:16:15 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 03:09:20PM -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
> On 4/11/2011 12:28 PM, Greg KH wrote:

> >>well, if the legal problem impacts not only the distribution but
> >>also the bugreports, this is a bad news.
> >
> >No, the issue is that packman bugs belong to packman, not to the main
> >openSUSE bugzilla, as the openSUSE developers can do nothing about
> >packman packages.
> >
> >It's just that simple, sorry.
> >
> >greg k-h
>
> You can't say that.

Yes I can, and I did :)

> There are countless examples of software that has to operate with
> other software, and the cause of a bug that the user sees may
> completely be in the "supported" software even though it only
> appears when used in concert with some "unsupported" software. At
> the very least such things should at least be investigated to
> determine where the bug really is.
>
> Supported app crashes on start when unsupported library is used.
>
> The easy answer is "Doesn't crash with the supported library,
> therefor not our problem."

Yup.

> Wrong for at least two reasons:

Nope, for the reason you forgot, "We limit our scope of testing and
support to the supported repositories".  Just like any other distro
does, you have to draw the line somewhere, and this is where it is
drawn.

Again, like all other distros.

Note, we will of course do our best to try to resolve issues whenever
possible, but please, understand the issues here and the fact that "we
will support any library from any repo combined with any application" is
something that NO ONE does.

Or if they do, they are insane, or lying, or both.

thanks,

greg k-h